Ted and Steve have travelled widely in Europe, and this page contains the accounts of our journeys. This page covers continental Europe, with the exception of Spain which has its own page. The UK also has a separate page. For long haul destinations you will have to look elsewhere…but maybe in the future. The focus is on recent journeys, before the information becomes out of date, with some notes of earlier travels where relevant. As well as Steve’s own wanderings with Ted there are the personal highlights of my tours as a tour manager with Great Rail Journeys, and some scenic short walks in Switzerland.
Ted and Steve’s journeys in Europe
A few times each year Ted takes Steve to visit new places in Europe. The trips tend to revolve around scenery and beer and always involve using public transport, usually trains. The accounts are not standard tourist guides, though they provide some background to the places visited. The focus is on the practicalities of getting around for those who wish to avoid driving, where to go for a few beers, and what to look out for on the journey. In addition to the description of the trip the write-ups include useful practical information for anyone wishing to follow in our footsteps and where relevant, a bit of train buffery, though nothing too technical . To download the blogs of each trip click on the links here, in the sidebar or at the foot of the page. The trips currently included are:
- AUSTRIA. A trip in 2017, reaching Austria by train via Prague, visiting the cities of Linz and Graz and the Salzkammergut lakes, and taking in some of the more interesting railway lines in Austria – AUSTRIA Linz and Graz (pdf, 2.6Mb)
- GERMANY. A brief visit in December 2014 to sample the beer that made Dusseldorf (pdf, 502kb) famous, with a side trip to visit the Wuppertal monorail.
- GERMANY. A ten day trip in 2016 to The Harz Mountains and Saxony .(pdf, 3.3Mb). This jaunt took in a few steam railways and other curious railway lines, visits to historic Quedlinburg and the city of Dresden, between beers (particularly during a stopover in Bamberg) and currywurst.
- GERMANY, FRANCE and LUXEMBOURG. A trip in April 2018 to Freiburg, Strasbourg and Luxembourg with visits to the Black Forest, Mulhouse and Karlsruhe. Plenty of railway buffery, beer and useless facts among the useful information.
- GREECE. In 2018 we visited Corfu for a week for friends wedding in the village of Arillas Corfu – notes on Arillas
- ITALY and AUSTRIA. A journey in June 2018, from Bergamo in Northern Italy, via Innsbruck and the surrounding mountains, plus a visit to Salzburg – Bergamo, Innsbruck and Salzburg
- MALTA and GOZO. A weeks visit to explore Malta and Gozo in February 2019 – Malta and Gozo
- SCANDINAVIA. A one-week round trip from Copenhagen in 2015 taking in Denmark, southern Sweden and Norway visiting Goteborg, Oslo, Bergen and Odense, travelling on the Bergen railway, and having some excellent beers when I could afford them – The SCANDINAVIA Trip (pdf, 1.2Mb).
- SWITZERLAND. A 2019 holiday in and around the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne) taking in unusual transport including paddle steamers, funiculars, cable cars and a lift –Around Lake Lucerne
Rail Tours in Europe
From 2007 to 2017 I was a freelance tour manager with Great Rail Journeys leading rail-based tours to Europe. Ted often stowed away. On tour I was too busy looking after the customers to take detailed notes, but I have set out some brief descriptions of the highlights of the tours over the last five years – click here:- TOURS – EUROPE. (pdf, 2.9Mb). During that time I’ve concentrated on Switzerland, home to several of the most spectacular railway journeys anywhere, though there are also tours to Italy, and Danube river cruises.
Walks in Switzerland
During the tours, and our own visits to Switzerland, I try to manage a walk or two, sometimes in my free time and sometimes with members of the tour group. They are all in spectacular scenery, fairly short walks and mostly gentle – I don’t have room to take the full gear with me. The walks are described here: WALKS Switzerland (pdf, 1.9Mb).
The photographs from top to bottom are:
The Hungarian Parliament Building, Budapest, from the Danube at night,
Ted gets prepared for a German trip,
Hallstättersee, Austria, from above,
The Eggishorn and the Aletsch Glacier in Switzerland,
A walk in the Bernese Oberland, from Schynige Platte, Switzerland.