On this page:
- Ted and Steve’s journeys in Europe
- More about Switzerland
The Hungarian Parliament Building, Budapest, from the Danube at night
Ted and Steve have travelled widely in Europe, and this page contains the accounts of our journeys. This page covers continental Europe, with the exception of Spain which has its own page. The UK also has a separate page. The focus is on recent journeys, before the information becomes out of date, with some notes of earlier travels where relevant. Additional information on travelling and walking in Switzerland has been provided as a result of Steve’s many visits to the country as a tour manager with Great Rail Journeys.
Ted and Steve’s journeys in Europe
Ted prepares for a German trip
A few times each year Ted takes Steve to visit new places in Europe. The trips tend to revolve around scenery and beer and always involve using public transport, usually trains. The accounts are not standard tourist guides, though they provide some background to the places visited. The focus is on the practicalities of getting around for those who wish to avoid driving, where to go for a few beers, and what to look out for on the journey. In addition to the description of the trip the write-ups include useful practical information for anyone wishing to follow in our footsteps and where relevant, a bit of train buffery, though nothing too technical. Click on the links for the blogs of each trip. The trips currently included are:
Hallstättersee, Austria, from above
- AUSTRIA. A to Austria by train from Prague, visiting the cities of Linz and Graz and the Salzkammergut lakes, and taking in some of the more interesting railway lines in Austria – AUSTRIA Linz and Graz (pdf, 2.6Mb)
- CENTRAL EUROPE. A train journey from Budapest to Berlin via Bratislava, the High Tatras, Banská Bystrica and Prague – A journey in Central Europe
- GERMANY. A brief visit to sample the beer that made Dusseldorf famous, with a side trip to the Wuppertal monorail – Dusseldorf and Wuppertal
- GERMANY. A ten day trip to eastern Germany taking in various steam and unusual railways, plenty of beer and currywurst, based in Quedlinburg, Bamberg and Dresden. A photographic introduction to the jaunt is here: The Harz Mountains and Saxony – an introduction and the full account is here: The Harz Mountains and Saxony (pdf, 3.3Mb).
- GERMANY, FRANCE and LUXEMBOURG. A trip to Freiburg, Strasbourg and Luxembourg with visits to the Black Forest, Mulhouse and Karlsruhe. Plenty of railway buffery, beer and useless facts among the useful information.
- GREECE. In 2018 we visited Corfu for a week for a friends wedding in the village of Arillas Corfu – notes on Arillas
- IRELAND. A 2022 visit to the Irish Republic, travelling by train and including Kilkenny, Cork and Galway, and a pub or two: The Irish Trip
- ITALY and AUSTRIA. A journey from Bergamo in Northern Italy, via Innsbruck and the surrounding mountains, plus a visit to Salzburg – Bergamo, Innsbruck and Salzburg
- MALTA and GOZO. A weeks visit to explore Malta and Gozo – Malta and Gozo
- NETHERLANDS, BELGIUM and FRANCE. Added in 2023. A journey across the Low Countries, sampling the beer in Leiden, Middelburg, Brugge and Lille – Leiden, Brugge and Lille
- ITALIAN JOURNEYS. Added in 2021 a look back at our journeys through Italy over the years, as an introduction to the country – Italian journeys
- SCANDINAVIA. A one-week round trip from Copenhagen taking in Denmark, southern Sweden and Norway visiting Goteborg, Oslo, Bergen and Odense, travelling on the Bergen railway, and having some excellent beers when I could afford them – The Scandinavia Trip .
- SWITZERLAND. A holiday based around the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne) taking in unusual transport including paddle steamers, funiculars, cable cars and a lift –Around Lake Lucerne
More about Switzerland
The Aletsch Glacier from the Eggishorn, Switzerland
Steve was a freelance tour manager with Great Rail Journeys until 2017, leading rail-based tours to Europe. Ted often stowed away. The most frequent destination was Switzerland and the information from these visits has been collected as a guide to Switzerland by Rail .
Walks in Switzerland
A walk in the Bernese Oberland, from Schynige Platte, Switzerland
During our visits to Switzerland we managed to fit in a walk or two, sometimes in free time and sometimes with members of the tour group. They are all in spectacular scenery, fairly short walks and mostly gentle – on tour we didn’t have room to take the full gear with us. The walks are described here: WALKS Switzerland (pdf, 1.9Mb).